Apple’s audio and video calling service, FaceTime, from which you can make free calls to anywhere just at the cost of your wifi or cellular data. All you need uninterrupted data and HD web camera. The major benefit of FaceTime on iPhone is that it is available free of cost to all Apple device users, but the drawback is, the app is only available for Apple users only. If you are new to iOS and iPhone then read this complete article to understand How to Use FaceTime on iPhone and Mac OS.
FaceTime can be used over Mac, iPhone, iPad, and other Apple devices seamlessly. It only works on wifi networks, but also on cellular networks. Users are able to make a choice between audio and video calls. So if you are willing to see your family or friends being apart from them, FaceTime will make it happen for you with some easy-peasy steps. Now if you are wondering how to make the best out of this FaceTime audio/video calling, this article would act as a perfect guide for you. Without further delay, let’s start…
Guide to Use FaceTime on iPhone and Mac
If you are a new Apple user and do not have an Apple ID, we will guide you through the entire process in detail. In case you possess an Apple ID, it would take less time for you to set up the FaceTime. If you are using Windows then you should read this Facetime for PC guide.
DO NOT HAVE AN APPLE ID:
In order to set up or use FaceTime for the first time, the foremost thing you need is an Apple ID. If you are a new user or still didn’t create an Apple ID. Here’s the thing you need to do for creating an Apple ID (useful for all Apple devices once created).
1) Unlock your iPhone and Open Settings.
2) Go to iTunes & App Store.
Then tap ‘Create New Apple ID’.
3) Choose the country and enter your email id (would be the name of your Apple ID).
4) Create a password and verify it. Just keep in mind that the password must be of 8 characters, both upper & lowercase. And do not repeat the same character three times in a row.
5) Set the security question and date of birth.
6) Adding a payment method is optional.
7) Once you have verified your ID using email. You are good to go. Your Apple ID is created. Now you can download any app you want for your Apple device.
HAVE AN APPLE ID:
If you already have an Apple ID, setting FaceTime for the first time would be much easier for you. All you need to do is follow the guide as given below:
Guide to set up FaceTime for iPhone users
1) Simply go to Settings and scroll down to FaceTime.
2) If you have an iPhone, your ID must have already been verified over FaceTime.
3) You can add your email by tapping ‘Use your Apple ID for FaceTime’.
4) Log in to your Apple ID.
5) Set caller ID (either email or phone number). This will be shown to your friends over FaceTime.
Guide to set up FaceTime for iPad or iPod users
If you wanna set up faceTime for your iPad or iPod, follow the steps as follows:
1) Simply run the Settings app.
2) Locate the FaceTime tab.
3) Choose ‘Use your Apple ID for FaceTime’.
4) Log in to your Apple Account.
5) Now you are able FaceTime anyone you want who also uses FaceTime on their Apple devices.
Guide to set up FaceTime for Mac users
If you wanna set up FaceTime over your Mac device, you need to follow the stepwise guide as follows:
1) Simply go to apps and try to locate FaceTime in case you cannot locate in over your dashboard.
2) Enable the toggle button by shifting it to the right side.
3) All your data would sync with the iPhone automatically. But in case if it doesn’t happen, you can also set your Apple ID preferences.
4) After opening FaceTime, login to your Apple ID.
5) Finally, you are good to go and you can use faceTime seamlessly.
How to receive FaceTime call from Mac?
If someone makes a FaceTime calls to you, you will receive a notification on the screen with their caller ID. You can receive the call by clicking on “Accept” and end the call by tapping on the red handset icon shown. It is as easy as receiving a normal phone call, isn’t?
How to stop FaceTime call from Mac?
If you do not want to receive FaceTime calls or wanna make it stop. Simply open FaceTime and in the menu FaceTime > Preferences, click “Sign Out”. If you wanna make a particular caller stop calling you, you can block that ID. Right-click on the number and click “Block This Caller”.
How to FaceTime using an email address?
As long as someone has set up their FaceTime to receive calls through email address as well, you do not need the caller’s mobile number to call them. You can FaceTime someone using their email address as well. Cool right?
How to make a FaceTime call pause or mute?
There is a situation when you are on a long FaceTime and you just need to mute or pause it for a while, follow these steps…
Step 1: Click on the yellow button on the top left side of the window. It will minimize the window and you call will be paused, but the audio will be continued.
Step 2: Just click on the FaceTime icon to continue.
Step 3: To make yourself mute, hover the mouse pointer over call window. Step 4: You can then click on the mute button that appears.
How to erase recent FaceTime call logs?
1) Open FaceTime. Click on Audio or Video.
2) Either remove a particular call by clicking on it and tap ‘Remove from Recents’
3) Or click ‘Remove all Recents’ from the bottom list menu.
Can I change the ringtone for FaceTime calls?
1) Go to FaceTime > Preferences.
2) Click on Settings and the box beside ringtone to a specific caller.
3) Open Contacts (or press Command + Space and start typing Contacts)
4) Find the caller you want the ringtone to assign to.
5) Click on Edit and scroll to ringtone and then click on the arrow to select the new one.
Can I make a FaceTime call from Mac to another iPhone, iPad, or iPod?
Yes, you can do it. All you need to do is to both of the users need to login to their IDs and make FaceTime call in a hassle-free way.